Monday, January 24, 2011

The Weelicious Crock Pot Black Bean Soup

{Picture is via the Weelicious website}

I am OBSESSED with this soup! I have now made it twice and have even eaten ALL the frozen left overs that I "saved". This Black Bean Soup and Chili are two items I MUST have in my freezer at ALL times!
Weelicious is an AMAZING blog that post TONS of healthily recipes for children. Well, I am 30 and trying to eat better so this is my diet meal plan recipe spot! Tiny already eats healthy and the Hubs is SO picky I don't even try with him!

{Recipe is via the Weelicious website}

Crock Pot Black Bean Soup (Serves 6)

1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, diced
3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
2 Cups Dried Black Beans, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
1 32 oz Chicken Broth or Vegetable Stock, low sodium
1/4 Cup Cilantro, chopped
2 Bay Leaves
2 Tsp Kosher Salt
1 Cup Water

Accompaniments: Yogurt, Sour Cream, Crème Fraiche

1. Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and sauté onions for 4 minutes.
2. Add chopped garlic and sauté an additional minute.
3. Place the onion garlic mixture into the crock pot along with the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.
4. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
5. Using either a hand blender or traditional blender, puree the ingredients to your desired texture (I like to get it so a few pieces of beans are still visible so the soup is thick and still has a bit of texture).
6. Top with a dollop of yogurt, sour cream or crème fraiche.
7. Serve.
Time to bust out that crock pot, soak some black beans, slow cook, and ENJOY! Thank you Weelicious for all your GREAT recipes!